The main objective of the programme is to prepare and equip graduates with general training in understanding the causes of conflicts, from a continental and geo-political perspective, and who wish to pursue a career in this area.
The educational aims of the programme are:
• To prepare and equip students with knowledge, skills and competence to the level where they can make a professional contribution in the field of peace building and conflict resolution.
• To assist students to develop practical skills in the analysis of concepts and practices related to peace building and conflict resolution.
• To prepare students to undertake higher and professional roles in the area of peace building thus enhancing their career opportunities and achieving self-development, as well as advancing their country.
The programme is open to candidates with a variety of background and interests in the subject. However, prospective candidates must satisfy the following minimum requirements:
• Must have a first or second class honours from a recognized university/higher learning institute.
• Applicants holding a pass degree may be considered for admission, if: The GPA is not below 2.5; and have satisfied the SODEESA of their academic potential through GMAT, its equivalent or additional training at diploma level and approved by the SODEESA Board.
The four semester programme consists of 12 course courses which each carry a weight of one topic; as well as a compulsory research paper which carries 6 units to make a total of 18 units to complete the programme.
|CODE||COURSE TITLE:||UNITS||CREDIT HOURS|
|MPB 7101||Understanding Conflict||1||10|
|MPB 7102||The Laws of War & International Humanitarian Law||1||10|
|MPB 7103||Conflict Resolution & Peacebuilding||1||10|
|MPB 7104||Human Rights, Conflict & Peacebuilding||1||10|
|MPB 7105||Culture, Conflict & Peacebuilding||1||10|
|MPB 7106||Economics, Conflict and Peacebuilding||1||10|
|MPB 7207||Research Methods||1||10|
|MPB 7208||Terrorism, Religion & Conflict||1||10|
|MPB 7209||Gender ,Conflict & Peacebuilding||1||10|
|MPB 7210||Africa and Conflict||1||10|
|MPB 7211||Security, Africa and Peacekeeping||1||10|
|MPB 7212||Psychodynamics of Resolving Conflict||1||10|